Re: USB runtime D3

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 02:57:48PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> > event, even though port0en and port1n are set in USB_RES. Is there any
> > way to get UHCI to do this? I'm guessing that the power is being cut to
> > the port when it suspends with no device connected.
>
> No, that doesn't sound right.  On the other hand, there's only one way
> to find out for certain.  Voltmeters do come in handy at times...

Thinking about it, I get plug events from EHCI, so it can't be that the
port is powered down. Maybe it's something to do with the port switching
logic.

> UHCI isn't very flexible or configurable.  It doesn't sound like
> there's anything more you can do about this.

Which possibly rules out the ability to do this.

> > I've thought of a way that this could be made to work, but it's kind of
> > hacky. A generic GPE handler could be registered and then scan all PCIe
> > devices for a raised PME bit.
>
> Something like that is probably needed anyway -- for all PCI devices,
> not just PCIe.  You have to do this on systems that support PCI-PM but
> don't have ACPI.

Yes, they'll need to have their own platform hook into this.

> > Anyone have any ideas? I've attached the current version of my code,
> > which is hacked up in various ways as I try to understand what's going
> > on but should give some idea what I'm trying.
>
> Ugh...  Hacked is right.  I can't comment on the ACPI stuff, but the
> USB parts are a mess.  You put stuff in the USB core that really
> belongs in the PCI core and you put stuff in the kernel that belongs in
> userspace.  Of course, there's nothing wrong with doing this as part of
> a "proof-of-principle" thing.

Yes, I guess the correct model is for this to be in PCI and have the USB
code do nothing other than indicate that the PCI device is now idle.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx