Re: [BUG] Linux-2.6.31-rc1 Fails To Recognize Some USB Disks

Alan> I never saw this posted on the linux-usb mailing list.  Has the
Alan> bug been fixed?

Turns out Tarkan's drive blows up when we send it an extended inquiry -
fun!

I have patch that works around the problem by only asking for an
extended inquiry on drives with a later SCSI rev.  Which is ok in this
case because the VPD pages that we need to access didn't show up until
SBC2.

While looking into this problem Boaz directed my attention towards this
piece of code in scsiglue.c:

    /* Some devices report a SCSI revision level above 2 but are
     * unable to handle the REPORT LUNS command (for which
     * support is mandatory at level 3).  Since we already have
     * a Get-Max-LUN request, we won't lose much by setting the
     * revision level down to 2.  The only devices that would be
     * affected are those with sparse LUNs. */
    if (sdev->scsi_level > SCSI_2)
            sdev->sdev_target->scsi_level =
                            sdev->scsi_level = SCSI_2;

Can you shed some light on these devices and maybe an alternate way of
working around this issue?  Drives with 4KB physical blocks are coming
out soon so dumbing down the SCSI level is not going to cut it for much
longer...