Re: USB multi-serial using few endpoints?

On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 02:07:41PM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> TL;DR: I'm looking for a USB-to-multi-serial solution that uses as few
> USB endpoints as possible.  Anyone with a good suggestion?

Moxa has a device with 16 ports that only use three endpoints; see the
mxuport driver.

> While I cannot replace USB-serial convertors on development boards, I
> can replace the USB serial implementation on the Teensy.  Hence I'm
> looking for a more efficient USB-multi-serial protocol (preferably one
> that has a Linux driver), using as few endpoints as possible.
> I'm not a USB expert, but If I'm not mistaken, an N-port
> USB-multi-serial adapter could be implemented using only 2 or 3
> endpoints (one "locked" input endpoint for signalling, and one (TX/RX
> combined) or two (TX and RX separated) multiplexed endpoints for data)?

Right, you'd (typically) need two bulk endpoints for tx and rx. The Moxa
protocol use a third for signalling events. (And USB devices always have
a control endpoint, which I don't count here).

> If no such thing exists, I guess I can use the mos7840 protocol instead?
> Or is there a better solution?

You can always roll your own minimal mux protocol in case the moxa one
is too complex (and we may want to keep an alternative implementation
separate for other reasons).

And then there's the n_gsm line discipline...

Johan