Re: BUG with linux 5.9.0 with dwc3 in gadget mode

Hi Ferry,

On Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 09:13:31PM +0100, Ferry Toth wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Sorry for messing up the CC list. This was partly thanks to gmane, partly my
> own stupidity. I hope it is complete now.
>
> I am summarizing the status of this one at the bottom.
>
> Op 22-10-2020 om 15:43 schreef Andy Shevchenko:

> > > Ok, thanks for verifying that it went away.

> > > There are some fixes to dwc3 in kernel mainline. Is it possible to test
> > > this against linux-next?
> > I think the best is to wait for v5.10-rc1 and retest.
> >
> I looks like there have been at least 3 problems:
>
> 1) dwc3 was not working in host mode, but not causing an oops. This may have
> been caused by platform changes. Andy has provided a fix for this, dwc3 now
> working in host mode on 5.9
>
> 2) dwc3 was causing the oops in gadget mode as referenced in this thread.
> The experimental patch from Jack Phan indeed fixes this.
>
> Code here: https://github.com/edison-fw/linux/commits/eds-acpi-5.9.0

Great, thanks! I'll submit the patch to the list. Is it alright if I
add a Reported-and-tested-by tag from you?

> 3) With the above 2 fixes gadgets work but seem to be powered down (after 15
> sec. or so) and up (after 1 sec.) continuously. No oops, no errors in
> journal. The gadgets I enabled are a network, sound and mass storage. The
> latter stops working due to going up/down quickly. But my host shows
> network/sound appearing/disappearing. Journal of edison shows:
>
> systemd-networkd[525]: usb0: Gained carrier
> systemd-networkd[525]: usb0: Gained IPv6LL
> systemd-networkd[525]: usb0: Lost carrier
> systemd-networkd[525]: usb0: Gained carrier
> systemd-networkd[525]: usb0: Gained IPv6LL
> systemd-networkd[525]: usb0: Lost carrier
>
> Any ideas how to proceed are highly welcomed!

I suppose you can start with enabling dwc3 trace events and try to see
what's going on from the gadget side. Please refer to
Documentation/driver-api/usb/dwc3.rst **Reporting Bugs**

Also what happens if you enable the network, sound and mass storage
functions individually rather than all at once (assuming you are using
ConfigFS)?

Jack
--
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum,
a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project