Re: Getting Philips Speechmike to work

Hi Jiri,

Jiri Kosina <jkosina@...> wrote:

> On Tue, 19 May 2009, Philipp Wagner wrote:
>
>>> +		printk(KERN_DEBUG "SPEECHMIKE DEBUG -- ALTERING REPORT
>>> DESCRIPTOR\n"); +		rdesc[27] = 0x01; +		rdesc[29] = 0x48; +	} +
>>> ret = hid_parse_report(hid, rdesc, rsize); kfree(rdesc); if (ret)
>>> {
>>
>> I then pressed the buttons again and the results are at
>> http://philipp.wagner.name/temp/speechmike-debug/with-patch/
>
> Could you also add a debug file there with the messages that appear
> at the time you plug the device in, with the patched kernel? I don't
> seem to see it there.

I'm sorry, I don't have the patched kernel running at the moment -- and
right now I'm really busy so I cannot try. But in the meantime I wrote a
small userspace library that talks to the SpeechMike device,
details are
http://philipp.wagner.name/blog/2009/06/introducing-libspeechmike/
and the code is here:
http://philipp.wagner.name/hg/libspeechmike

I guess for you the code is the best documentation on what the device
does, in principle every button gets a bit in a bitfield. I don't know
if that's normal for HID devices, but I guess it's not :-)

I don't know if it makes sense to support that device in the kernel, or
if is too non-standard that going with a user space library is the
better way.

Philipp