Re: Dynamic ID in option.c

Greg KH schrieb:

is there a reason dynamic device IDs are switched off by default in the "option" driver?

-------
.no_dynamic_id = 1,
-------

This is one of the drivers which dynamic IDs would be especially useful for.

USB to serial drivers have their own dynamic id infrastructure, and it
does not work with the usb core's dynamic id one.  That is why all
usb-serial drivers should have no_dynamic_id set.

So the driver does support dynamic ids, have you tried it from
userspace?

In fact, I have. I tested my 3G modem, taking it out of the ID table and loading the dynamic-enabled "option" module manually.

plugging in:
------------
usb 4-1: usb_probe_device
usb 4-1: adding 4-1:1.0 (config #1, interface 0)
usb 4-1:1.0: uevent
usb 4-1: adding 4-1:1.1 (config #1, interface 1)
usb 4-1:1.1: uevent
usb 4-1: adding 4-1:1.2 (config #1, interface 2)
usb 4-1:1.2: uevent

modprobe option
---------------
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
USB Serial support registered for generic
usbserial_generic 4-1:1.0: usb_probe_interface
usbserial_generic 4-1:1.0: usb_probe_interface - got id
usbserial_generic 4-1:1.1: usb_probe_interface
usbserial_generic 4-1:1.1: usb_probe_interface - got id
usbserial_generic 4-1:1.2: usb_probe_interface
usbserial_generic 4-1:1.2: usb_probe_interface - got id
usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
USB Serial support registered for GSM modem (1-port)
usbcore: registered new interface driver option
option: v0.7.2:USB Driver for GSM modems

echo "0af0 6600" >/sys/bus/usb/drivers/option/new_id
option 4-1:1.0: usb_probe_interface
option 4-1:1.0: usb_probe_interface - got id
option 4-1:1.1: usb_probe_interface
option 4-1:1.1: usb_probe_interface - got id
option 4-1:1.2: usb_probe_interface
option 4-1:1.2: usb_probe_interface - got id

But no /dev files are created. An udev thing or just failure?

Would it be easier to add module parameters as in "generic.c"? I looked into that file, but it uses no ID table at all; probably further away than the dynamic ID. "option" seems to do it rather according to 'the book'.

My cause:
Everybody keeps stressing to use "option", not generic serial for broadband wireless; but until a new device is officially supported by the next kernel release, it would be nice to be able to avoid telling users to work with "usb-serial" in the meantime. Usually, they tend to stick with it ...

Cheers,
Josua Dietze
--
Man is the only creature on earth enabled to take a
warm meal while flying!                      Loriot