Re: I get a new Thunderbolt domain UUID on every boot

Thank you for getting back to me.

On Mon, 20 Jul 2020, Mika Westerberg wrote:

> It is done on purpose. The BIOS generates new UUID every boot.

I see. This leads to a couple of follow-on questions, then:

There are two "competing" Linux packages for controlling/admining TB,
"bolt" (which includes "boltctl") and "thunderbolt-tools" (which includes
"tbtadm". I used to have both installed but I think they sometimes get
in each other's way and settled on "thunderbolt-tools" as "bolt" was
leaving large numbers of UUID-related files over time.

- Do you have a preference for either?

I've noticed that I can't seem to get IOMMU protection unless I boot
with Secure Boot on in my BIOS (which I never use, as I don't sign my
own kernels). IOMMU/DMAR is on in my kernel.

- Is there any way to force this, or is this expected? I don't get the
"iommu_dma_protection" set on my controllers either.

Finally, every now and then on a reboot, my TB dock "flaps" (repeatedly
connects and disconnects) and I have to either connect/reconnect the TB3
cable, or initate a power-off. I suspect this is a BIOS bug (I also have
to set "intel_iommu=igfx_off" otherwise I get "DMA Hardware is malfunctioning"
errors on power-down (or hibernate)).

- Have you seen this before or have any ideas?

Thanks,

	-Kenny

--
Kenneth R. Crudup  Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Orange County CA