Re: bug: Reproduceable hung-task in snd_usb_pcm or usb-core in VM with Behringer device.

On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 04:49:41PM +0200, Achim Dahlhoff wrote:
> Reproduceable hung-task in snd_usb_pcm or usb-core in VM with Behringer device.
>
> Hello maintainers of usb,
>
> I found a reproduceable hung-task problem when trying to use Behringer
> "Uphoria" audio devices inside VMware workstation, on Debian-SID with
> kernel 5.7 or with 5.8-rc5 . Kernel-trace and USB IDs are included.
>
> Am I right to post here?

Yes.

> The problem occurs every time when accessing the devices.
> The problem does NOT occur with:
>  - another sound device (griffin)
>  - on native Linux on another machine

What about when you use the problematic machine with native Linux?
That's really the most important case.

> I cannot tell if it is a bug with VMware, the Behringer audio devices,
> or if this might point to a bug in snd_usb_pcm.

If the device works on the same machine under native Linux then most
likely it is a problem in VMware.

If it doesn't, the failure symptoms (a hang inside usb_kill_urb)
indicate a problem in the USB host controller hardware or driver, not in
snd_usb_pcm or the audio device.

> If you have an idea what to try I can apply patches, rebuild kernel
> and try if an improvement works.

Try booting from a "Live" distribution and see what happens, if you
don't want to install Linux on the test machine.

Alan Stern