Re: PROBLEM: Nvidia OHCI chipset MCP78S (Geforce 8200) hangs on > 1Mbit transfers if noapic/acpi=noirq is missing

I noticed that when I download file with wget, the transfer stops for 1 second
2 or 3 times before usb will finally hang.

With usb hard drive usb hangs sometimes on plugin, sometimes it will
initialize Ok, mount ok and hang at beginning of file copy.

What I learned fast usb 1.1 devices use bulk/iso transfers where bulk
transfers are the most popular. Slow usb devices use different transfer.
So if slow devices are ok this means there must be problem with bulk.
The question is if this is chipset design bug or linux ohci driver has bug
causing problems on multicore/fast cpu. Windows XP SP3 works with default OS
ohci usb drivers. If there would be bug in chip design Nvidia would provide
filter driver for usb (like VIA provided viausb.sys in ancient days). Because
Windows XP SP3 works with default OS ohci usb drivers the hardware/chipset
design is OK. So problem lies in Linux ohci driver.

The noapic or acpi=noirq may suggest problem inside bios/acpi code. But if
none of interrupts are shared and every other piece of hardware works great in
Linux can I still blame this part of code?

Because usb hang only happens during fast, big bulk transfers can you please
tell me what parts of usb ohci driver (kernel 2.6.30.1) I should modify to
slow down usb transmission in bulk mode? I think extending queues and adding
delay/wait/sleep commands before ohci controller I/O commands could make usb
bulk transmissions less aggressive for chipset which may hang because data
overload. If you know how to do that can you please show me example patch?

have a nice day,
Zbigniew Luszpinski