Re: USB device not found on boot, only on insertion

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009, Pierre Ossman wrote:

> Nice. None of the built-in hubs supported this though, and this
> particular "feature" got me extra disappointed:
>
>     No overcurrent protection
>
> And here I thought everything on a modern motherboard hade overcurrent
> protection. :/
>
> Luckily both two hubs I had lying around supported power switching
> though (confirmed it using a optical mouse).

That isn't a reliable confirmation.  When you tell a hub to turn off
power to a port, it will stop relaying packets through that port --
even if it leaves the power on.  Without packets arriving every few
milliseconds, the optical mouse will go into suspend mode and turn off
its LED.

> Now for the fun part. Once I put an extra hub between the host and the
> IR device, it started working nicely on boot. So no power hack
> needed. :)

Okay, good!

Alan Stern