gadget: Why do Microsoft OS descriptors need their own USB request?

Hi,

I've never understood it, so I figure I might as well just ask.  Why
does the Microsoft OS descriptors support require the allocation of a
separate USB request for the composite gadget device?  Both the
default control request buffer and the "special" OS descriptors buffer
are the same size (4KB) and use the same completion handler.  As far
as I can tell there is nothing distinct between them.  There's only
ever one outstanding USB request queued to ep0, so can the dedicated
USB request be removed and just share the default one?  I'm happy to
provide a patch, unless of course I've missed something.

Regards,
Chris