Re: dvdrw USB3 drive seen as USB2

On Sat, 7 Mar 2020, James wrote:

> The cable is attached to the drive.
> I guess the cable could be defective.
>
> I found out my Realtek USB adapter is USB2 by default but there is a
> parameter in the driver to make it USB3.

Do you have a pointer or URL for an explanation of that parameter?

> I wonder if it is becoming more common to have USB2 by default and then
> USB3 by software.

I have not heard of such a thing.  It seems like a bad idea; why would
anybody want their device to run at USB-2 speed by default when it
could be running at USB-3 speed?

> Unfortunately, I think Linux uses generic drivers.

The drivers are largely generic, but they include device-specific quirk
lists, so they are not entirely generic.

Alan Stern