Re: Unable to set "iInterface" in usb gadget via configfs

On Tue, 14 Jan 2020, Andrew P. Lentvorski wrote:

> I've been trying to report what I think is a bug, but I can't seem to
> get through to the mailing list.  If these are coming through
> duplicated, please let me know so I can quit sending them.

I don't think any earlier messages in this thread made it through the
mailing list, but this one definitely did.

> Thanks,
> -a
>

> > I've been trying to set "iInterface" in my usb gadget to a specific string, but I simply can't find a way to make configfs accept this.
> >
> > When I set my gadget up on my Beaglebone Black (uname -a: Linux beaglebone 4.14.108-ti-r113 #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Jul 31 00:01:10 UTC 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux).
> >
> > I get (output from lsusb):
> >
> > iInterface 5 HID Interface
> >

> > But I want it to be something like:
> >
> > iInterface 4 LPC-LINK2 CMSIS-DAP V5.224
> >

> > This seems to be wired up as a fixed value in f_hid.c and doesn't seem to have a corresponding way to actually change it via configfs.
> >

> > #define CT_FUNC_HID_IDX 0
> >
> > static struct usb_string ct_func_string_defs[] = {
> >         [CT_FUNC_HID_IDX].s     = "HID Interface",
> >         {},                     /* end of list */
> > };

Then maybe you need to fix f_hid.c.  Or maybe configfs isn't meant to
allow the user to specify these string index values (I don't know any
of the configfs details).

Alan Stern