Re: [RPI 3B+ / TSO / lan78xx ]

Hello all

I am facing an issue related to Raspberry PI 3B+ and onboard ethernet card.

When doing a huge transfer (more than 1GB) in a row, transfer hanges and failed after a few minutes.

I have two ways to reproduce this issue

using NFS (v3 or v4)

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/NFSPATH/file bs=4M count=1000 status=progress

    we can see that at some point dd hangs and becomes non interrutible (no way to ctrl-c it or kill it)

    after afew minutes, dd dies and a bunch of NFS server not responding / NFS server is OK are seens into the journal

Using SCP

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/file bs=4M count=1000

    scp /tmp/file user@server:/directory

    scp hangs after 1GB and after a few minutes scp is failing with message "client_loop: send disconnect: Broken pipe lostconnection"

It appears, this is a known bug relatted to TCP Segmentation Offload & Selective Acknowledge.

disabling this TSO (ethtool -K eth0 tso off & ethtool -K eth0 gso off) solves the issue.

A patch has been created to disable the feature by default by the raspberry team and is by default applied wihtin raspbian.

comment from the patch :

/* TSO seems to be having some issue with Selective Acknowledge (SACK) that
 * results in lost data never being retransmitted.
 * Disable it by default now, but adds a module parameter to enable it for
 * debug purposes (the full cause is not currently understood).
 */

For reference you can find

a link to the issue I created yesterday : https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/3395

links to raspberry dev team : https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/2482 & https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/2449

If you need me to test things, or give you more informations, I ll be pleased to help.

Fox

PS : this is a resent in with plain text because vger rejected the first one with html formating ...:)