    From: Viral Mehta <viral.mehta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Subject: Re: USB 3.0 monitoring
    To: "Sarah Sharp" <sarah.a.sharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Cc: linux-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, zaitcev@xxxxxxxxxx
    Date: Monday, June 15, 2009, 2:33 AM

    Hi Sarah,
    Thanks for your kind reply.

    I did homework and I think we do NOT need to change anything in
    usbmon (drivers/usb/mon/*) code to make it work with USB3.0

    By design, usbmon hooks its functions into hcd.c file. So that
    hook is in "USB Host Controller Driver framework".
    Call sequence would be something like,

    USB Class Specific Driver
    ----> USB core driver
       ----> USB HCD framework (plugged into core)
         |----> Also submit urb to usbmon
         |----> enqueue URB to HCD driver or root hub
As evidently, urbs are given to usbmon from a generic layer of
    hcds and so it doesnt matter what HCD as a hardware we are using
    beneath.
    So, I feel like we do not need any code change to usbmon. This
    should directly work for USB3.0 capturing.

    I needed to go and look at the code beforehand ;)

    -- Thanks, Viral Mehta, Embedded Software Engineer, www.einfochips.com

    I CCed Pete, too if I missed something and needs some comment here.

    Sarah Sharp wrote:
    > On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 10:42:58AM +0530, Viral Mehta wrote:
> >> Hi Sarah,
    >>
    >> I am planning to incorporate code changes in usbmon (USB
    monitoring tool  that comes with kernel source) to support USB3.0
    capturing.
    >> I am following all code changes that you recently submitted to
    mainline  kernel.

    >> The unfortunate thing is I do not have any access to any USB3.0
    devices.
    >> I am just doing it as self-learning exercise since I am very
    much into  USB3.0

    >> Will it be possible for you to help me in anyway to get that
    code tested  if I happen to submit it to you?

    > Sure, you should send the code to the linux-usb mailing list as
    an RFC,
    > and I'll test it with the USB devices I have.  I only have bulk and
    > control transfers working, so I won't be able to test other transfer
    > types.  But it would be very useful to have USBMon working for
    USB 3.0
    > devices.
    >
> >> Or you already have those changes but yet not submitted ? In
    that case,  I may define some other exercise for myself.
    >> Any help would be more than welcome.
>> >
    > No, I haven't made changes to the USBMon for USB 3.0.  I haven't
    really
    > tried using it with USB 3.0 devices, so I don't know if there's any
    > changes necessary.  But I will certainly test any patches you
    send me.

    > Sarah Sharp
    >

    > Email Scanned for Virus & Dangerous Content by :
    www.CleanMailGateway.com

    Disclaimer: This e-mail message and all attachments transmitted
    with it
    are intended solely for the use of the addressee and may contain
    legally
    privileged and confidential information. If the reader of this message
    is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for
    delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby
    notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying, or other
    use of
    this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have
    received this message in error, please notify the sender
    immediately by
    replying to this message and please delete it from your computer. Any
    views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender
    unless otherwise stated.Company has taken enough precautions to
    prevent
    the spread of viruses. However the company accepts no liability
    for any
    linux-usb" in
    <http://us.mc452.mail.yahoo.com/mc/compose?to=majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

*Email Scanned for Virus & Dangerous Content by :* *www.CleanMailGateway.com*