Programmatically switching a USB port from Host to Device mode (not OTG)

Hi folks

I am using a GL.Inet AR750S (Slate) travel router, which is based on
the QCA9563 SoC.

I am trying to see if there is any way that I can get it to operate in
a USB Gadget mode.

According to twitter support
(https://twitter.com/GLiNetWiFi/status/1187190831746179073), the
router's external port is connected directly to USB1 on the SoC, and
the internal port is connected via a USB hub to USB2.

According to the datasheet which I found at
https://github.com/Deoptim/atheros/QCA9563_July_2014.pdf, USB1 should
be a Host-only port, while USB2 should be device-capable.
Unfortunately, the hub chip makes it impossible to test USB2.

So, my question is, is it possible to modify the device tree to
configure USB1 in gadget mode (even though according to the datasheet,
this is a reserved configuration) ?

Is it possible that a pure software configuration change may be
sufficient to change the role of the port, or would I need to remove
pull-up/down resistors as well to see if this could work?

Many thanks!

Rogan