broken pipe, writing to /dev/hidraw

Recently I bought a USB VoIP mouse. It has a usb sound device for the
audio, and a HID device.

The HID device uses 2 reports: Report 2 is a standard mouse report.
Report 1 handles the special phone keys in the mouse, and I believe it
is also used for programming the
internal LCD display. After lots of googling, I keep having questions:

- I noticed there are already a couple of USB Internet Phone drivers,
for both keypads and LCD displays. Will they also work with my phone?

- While reading from /dev/hidraw2, I see a zero, then the report
number, and then the report data. For writing reports to /dev/hidraw2,
I see a comment in the kernel source that I have to prefix the report
data with the report number. Is that the hexadecimal report number? Do
I need to write an extra zero?

- At http://bobbens.dyndns.org/prj/force-feedback/rumblepad2.txt I
found instructions for using a USB sniffer in windows, and then
writing the sniffed codes to /dev/hidraw, using

echo -en "0\xf3\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00" > /dev/hidraw3

However, while writing to /dev/hidraw2, I get a Broken Pipe error. How
do I write to the /dev/hidraw device?

Regards,

Maik