Re: Aspeed vhub configuration

On Tue, 2019-07-02 at 14:24 +0200, Greg KH wrote:

> > That leaves me with two approaches, that aren't mutually exclusive, but
> > I'd like to run them past the folks here before I start coding:
> >
> >  - The defaults, currently hard coded, could be replaced with Kconfig
> > options.
> >
> >  - The device-tree node could contain optional override of those
> > defaults, allowing a vendor to customize the hub for a given board.
> > It's not per-se a HW description, but the device-tree is also fairly
> > commonly used for HW configuration, even if some people disagree with
> > me on that one (hint: they are wrong :-)
> >
> >  - I could add sysfs properties underneath the vhub device instance to
> > customize it. This would also allow userspace to control whether the
> > hub is "connected" to the host or not, which could be useful, some
> > systems don't want it to always be there. Today there's no choice.
> >
> > Any other option ? If somebody says netlink I will scream :)
>
> DT seems like the logical choice, I'll not object to that.

DT for defaults sounds good yes. I'm still toying with also having
sysfs properties. There have been people wanting to connect or
disconnect the hub from the host programatically, a property in the
device node would be best for that. Being able to override the serial
number as well. The DT isn't a great place for that.

Cheers,
Ben.