Re: pxa27x_udc, linux host rndis/cdc problems

On Tuesday 19 May 2009, Aric D. Blumer wrote:
> While this patch works with a Windows RNDIS host, it does not with a
> Linux RNDIS host.

That may be because RNDIS on Linux is discouraged, at
least for devices that can behave sanely.

> Here is the host dmesg output:
>
> usb 1-2.7: new full speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 44
> usb 1-2.7: configuration #1 chosen from 2 choices
> usb 1-2.7: unsupported MDLM descriptors

Means the "zaurus" driver was kicking in; that's what emits
that message.  I'm a bit puzzled what it would have been
complaining about though, I guess something got mangled.
Enable DEBUG (by hand, sigh) in that driver to get a bit
more debug information.

> usb 1-2.7: New USB device found, idVendor=0525, idProduct=a4a2

... while in fact the "cdc_subset" driver should apply.
I'm not sure why that says

	USB_DEVICE_VER (0x0525, 0xa4a2, 0x0203, 0x0203),

That version code is making it kick in only for pxa25x, and
at this point I have no clue why that restriction would apply.
Best to make it be USB_DEVICE(0x0525, 0xa4a2).

> usb 1-2.7: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
> usb 1-2.7: Product: RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget
> usb 1-2.7: Manufacturer: Linux 2.6.28-sdg with pxa27x_udc
>
> The "unsupported MDLM descriptors" is the key, I think.  I believe it's
> saying the Linux RNDIS drivers

Not at all.  Go look at the code.  You won't find that message
in the RNDIS driver at all.

> are looking for the full CDC Ethernet
> descriptors, but the pxa27x_udc doesn't support them.

Nope.  The Zaurus code exists for hardware which uses

> So pxa27x_ucd + RNDIS works with Windows XP (not sure about other
> versions), but it doesn't with the recent Linux kernels.  Perhaps the
> Linux RNDIS host drivers are too strict?   I don't know the specs, so I
> couldn't say.

I'll look at this patch, it looks right for some cases
but not all.

- Dave