Re: Handling SCSI commands in USB simulator

On Fri, 15 May 2009, Madhukar G wrote:

> I have one last question. When i inserted the file_storage (simulator)
> module, the URB which are initiated from storage driver goes thru
> usbcore and then to dummy_hcd and finally to file_storage gadget
> driver.
>
> At this point i see that defualt host controller module (ehci or uhci)
> is already present.

ehci-hcd and uhci-hcd are not "default" host controller modules.  They
are present either because they are built into your kernel or else
because you have an EHCI and a UHCI host controller in your computer.

> My question is how does usbcore know that URB's
> needs to be redirected to dummy_hcd instead of defualt hcd controller
> module (ehci or uhci).

usbcore sends the URB to the host controller for the URB's device's
bus.  You can see this very explicitly in drivers/usb/core/hcd.c, at
the start hcd_submit_urb():

	struct usb_hcd		*hcd = bus_to_hcd(urb->dev->bus);

Alan Stern