Re: USB Driver for USB Sniffer

> Did you had a look usbmon ?

Yes, I've used usbmon quite a lot - what I'm proposing is something
which would use usbmon internally to log the USB activity, but would
be inserted between the "host" PC and the device under test.

Typical applications would be sniffing packets of a device when under
control of a PC running windows, then reboot into Linux and repeat,
you can then diff the results to find bugs in the Linux driver.

Essentially a low budget DIY version of one of these :
http://www.thedebugstore.com/acatalog/Total_Phase__Beagle__USB_480_USB_v2_Protocol_Analyser__1723.html

So I suppose I should have said "Linux driven USB protocol analyser",
which would make use of both the host and device ports on any suitable
development board and use usbmon internally to log the USB activity.

2009/5/14 Rajaram R <rajaram.officemail@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Did you had a look usbmon ?
>
> http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt
>
> Is that you are trying to make ?
>

> On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 10:13 PM, Steve Hardy
> <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am considering writing a gadget device driver which would act as
>> both a USB host and device, for use as a USB sniffer.
>>
>> My intention is to use a simple, low cost ARM development board like
>> the Olimex SAM9-L9260, which has both usb host and device
>> capabilities.
>>
>> I have seen this idea proposed as a Beagleboard SoC project
>> (http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard/Ideas-2009#USB_sniffer), but otherwise
>> have not found any evidence that someone else is actively working on
>> such a capability.
>>
>> I have driver and some USB experience, so am happy to just get hacking
>> and see how it goes, but I am keen to avoid duplicating effort if
>> something similar has been attempted already.
>>
>> Can anyone provide any thoughts, links or ideas related to this before I start?
>>
>> I'm guessing I will need to start with skeleton USB host and gadget
>> drivers, and the host driver will have to talk to the gadget driver
>> such that the gadget mimics the vendor/product IDs and EP topology of
>> the device under test.  Then URBs in each direction will require
>> forwarding in an efficient manner such that the USB data is fairly
>> transparently "passed through" the driver/drivers.
>>
>> For the actual sniffing, I just expect to use the usbmon module.
>>
>> Any thoughts appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Steve Hardy
>> --