Mouse and keyboard attached to the ASMedia ASM1042A USB 3.0 controller in Dell Thunderbolt Dock TB16 freeze

I have a Dell XPS 9370 connected to a Dell Thunderbolt Dock TB16.
Attached (via USB) to the latter I have my mouse and keyboard. Both
freeze after some (random) time of usage (from minutes to hours) with
no messages neither in dmesg nor in /var/log/messages or
/var/log/syslog.

The only way to reactivate the frozen USB connection is to detach and
reattach the affected peripheral (usually it is the mouse that freezes
and the keyboard remains active but sometimes it is the opposite).

I tried disabling USB autosuspend entirely (usbcore.autosuspend=-1 in
the kernel command line) but the problem remains.

I installed Windows in my PC only to update all the drivers and
firmware (i.e., the thunderbolt firmware) using the packages provided
by dell. Again, with no success. I have the latest BIOS istalled
(1.8.1).

I compile the kernel myself, from the latest vanilla kernel (using
kernel-package to build a debian package). I am currently running
latest stable kernel 5.0.4. The problems also affects latest debian
SID kernel (4.19.28).

I understand I am not helping much in identifying the source of the
problem but I do not know how to help better, especially because the
problem is hard to reproduce.

If anyone could give me any suggestion on how to better investigate
the source of the problem (i.e., increasing logging verbosity or any
other thing that I could do), I would be very happy to help. The issue
is very annoying (I have to detach/reattach my keyboard/mouse at least
a couple of times per day).

Thanks in advance.