Re: Do usb_submit_urb() memory allocation errors really exist in the wild?

V Tue, 26 Feb 2019 13:09:30 +0100
Nicolas Saenz Julienne <nsaenzjulienne@xxxxxxx> napsáno:

> Hi,
> as I'm sure most of you are aware of, every URB submission triggers a small
> memory allocation in the host controller. On top of that it might be run in
> atomic context. This has always seemed to me as a possible source of very hard
> to reproduce and potentially nasty issues. For example I'm thinking of embedded
> systems driving some critical operation through USB.
>
> I wonder if anyone has been able to log any failure on that area. I was unable
> to find anything on the relevant bugzillas, nor by talking with some
> knowledgeable people.

Actually, searching for "page allocation failure" and xhci_urb_enqueue
finds a few posts. Among others:

https://lists.gt.net/xen/devel/183060

Although the allocation failure may itself be a result of a bug, if you
read on, at one point Konrad says:

> Then the em28xx gets horribly confused that it could not send an URB
> anymore and from there one things get worst.

This makes me believe there is some value in making things at least a
bit better.

Just my two cents,
Petr T