Re: usbfs, claiming entire usb devices

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Pantelis Koukousoulas <pktoss@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> We are in 100% agreement regarding where the problems are :)
>>
>> Are we?  Steve's email seemed to indicate that he may have some
>> different ideas.
>
> Well, It looked to me that even Steve agreed on the problems, he
> just wanted different solutions perhaps :)

I am generally doing embedded Linux stuff and seem to be doomed to
always be a few years behind the cutting edge of kernel development. I
don't generally get to choose what kernel, just try to deal with it.

In this case, any solution nicely dealing with qemu's problem will
(eventually) help me.

To me, the kernel is implementing policy in deciding the mapping of
devices to drivers by its probe order technique. Any solution that
will move that policy to userspace will help.

Regards, Steve