Re: USB-C storage device not detected on USB 3.1 Gen 2 host when plugged in after boot

On Fr, 2019-01-11 at 19:49 +0100, Jan-Marek Glogowski wrote:

> Yup, but the device is just detected if its plugged in on boot / module load.
> I now have recompiled 5.0-rc1 with xhci as a module.

First of all, is this a regression? Did earlier kernels work?

> If I plug the device after the module is loaded, I get no messages in dmesg.
> No devices shows up
> If I rmmod xhci_pci + modprobe xhci_pci the device is correctly enumerated and works.
> If I re-plug the device again it also doesn't show up again until module "reload".
>
> The attached dmesg is from a boot with the device plugged in.
>
> I had some talk with Greg on #kernelnewbies and he suspected a broken port.
>
> I have no idea if a port can enumerate but not hotplug.
>
> I meanwhile switched to some other HW (Acer n4660g), which shows the same problem.

OK, then we need logs of the failure case. A usbmon trace and dmesg
with debugging enabled

echo "module xhci_hcd +mfp" > /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control
echo "module xhci_pci +mfp" > /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control
echo "module usbcore +mfp" > /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control

	Regards
		Oliver