Re: SHANWAN pad rumbling not working on USB

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 10:20 AM Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Adding linux-input which is the best list for this...
>
> On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 09:17:22AM +0800, liquid wrote:
> > Rumbling function on SHANWAN DS3 clone joystick doesn't work.
> > Meanwhile it can work fine on Windows ScpToolkit v1.7.277.16103-BETA.
> > (Tested with PCSX2 lilypad Win32 build).
> >
> > SDL2/test/testhaptic was able to find out its supported effect. But NO
> > rumble at all.
> > INFO: 1 Haptic devices detected.
> > INFO: Device: SHANWAN PS3 GamePad
> > INFO:    Supported effects [16 effects, 16 playing]:
> > INFO:       sine
> > INFO:       triangle
> > INFO:       left/right
> > INFO:    Supported capabilities:
> > INFO:       gain
> > INFO:
> > Uploading effects
> > INFO:    effect 0: Sine Wave
> > INFO:    effect 1: Left/Right
> > INFO:
> > Now playing effects for 5 seconds each with 1 second delay between
> > INFO:    Playing effect 0
> > INFO:    Playing effect 1
> >
> > lsusb:
> > Bus 001 Device 017: ID 054c:0268 Sony Corp. Batoh Device / PlayStation
> > 3 Controller
> >
> > lsusb -v:
> > Bus 001 Device 017: ID 054c:0268 Sony Corp. Batoh Device / PlayStation
> > 3 Controller
> > Device Descriptor:
> >   bLength                18
> >   bDescriptorType         1
> >   bcdUSB               1.10
> >   bDeviceClass            0
> >   bDeviceSubClass         0
> >   bDeviceProtocol         0
> >   bMaxPacketSize0        64
> >   idVendor           0x054c Sony Corp.
> >   idProduct          0x0268 Batoh Device / PlayStation 3 Controller
> >   bcdDevice            1.00
> >   iManufacturer           1 SHANWAN
> >   iProduct                2 PS3 GamePad
> >   iSerial                 0
> >   bNumConfigurations      1
> >   Configuration Descriptor:
> >     bLength                 9
> >     bDescriptorType         2
> >     wTotalLength       0x0029
> >     bNumInterfaces          1
> >     bConfigurationValue     1
> >     iConfiguration          0
> >     bmAttributes         0x80
> >       (Bus Powered)
> >     MaxPower              500mA
> >     Interface Descriptor:
> >       bLength                 9
> >       bDescriptorType         4
> >       bInterfaceNumber        0
> >       bAlternateSetting       0
> >       bNumEndpoints           2
> >       bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Device
> >       bInterfaceSubClass      0
> >       bInterfaceProtocol      0
> >       iInterface              0
> >         HID Device Descriptor:
> >           bLength                 9
> >           bDescriptorType        33
> >           bcdHID               1.10
> >           bCountryCode            0 Not supported
> >           bNumDescriptors         1
> >           bDescriptorType        34 Report
> [...]

I'm replying mostly with my Sony hat on. Well there are variety of PS3
controllers, some licensed (meaning we gave them some specs) and
unlicensed. This is one of the unlicensed clone ones, where they kind
of reverse engineered the HID requests and even use our Sony product /
vendor id (!). However the devices often don't properly implement all
the reports or implement different ones and need various quirks.

For us at Sony it is a bit tricky how to deal with such devices. PS3
controllers are old now, so we probably don't care so much for this
particular one. However we are starting to use this driver in a more
and more official capacity with various partner devices (they use
stable kernels). It is tricky for us to support unofficial clone
devices in hid-sony moving forward and guarantee quality. Luckily no
clone PS4 controllers are supported yet, but those should be in their
own driver (they are very, very different)...

Thanks,
Roderick