Re: Q: boot time & usb enumeration

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 09:23:50AM +0200, Ranran wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 8:54 AM Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > We have strict demands of boot time for up to 2-3 seconds.
> >
> > Boot time to what exactly?  And again, have you tested your system?
> >
> > USB devices probe asynchronously, other things will happen while they
> > are being discovered.
> >
> > > We have a usb touch screen, and some of us think that usb enumeration
> > > is problematic (in terms of boot time) and that we better change the
> > > initerface t touch screen from usb to serial.
> >
> > Have you tested this?  You need to do that.
> >
> > > Please tell me what you think, is it really better to change the
> > > interface or can we speed up the usb enumeration of this device ? Will
> > > it get into the 2-3 seconds limitation ?
> >
> > Again, you need to test this for your hardware.  We have no idea what
> > exactly you are using, nor can we give you any firm answers.  You need
> > to do that testing yourself.
> >
> I understand. I shall do it.
> How can we measure enumeration time of usb ? and is there a way to
> speedup the enumeration time ?
>  We have single usb known device, and don't use other usb devices..

You measure the boot time of your device, from power on until you have
everything you want to have up and running properly.

You have seen the bootchart tool that helps you determine what is taking
what time during booting, right?  If not, please use that, it is very
useful in seeing what is happening.

good luck!

greg k-h