What is the modern recommendation for sata to usb drive disconnect ?

Hi,

I got to a slight confusion about what is the correct way to safely disconnect
hdd sata over usb  adapter with external power unit from laptop running Linux
(4.18).

my current action list was :

1. unmount everything
2. sync
3. hdpram -S 30  /dev/sdX (I'm not sure if does anything honestly because
device is connected over a sata to usb interface)
4. Wait for ~20 minutes

5. physically touch the disk if I feel any movement , if not unplug the
usb cord from the laptop and then unplug the power plug cord from the wall
socket.
else back to step 2

I have found this comment list http://elliotli.blogspot.com/2009/01/safely-remove-usb-hard-drive-in-linux.html but that was true 11 years ago which also
mention put socket into suspend mode (which I have failed to do in the past).

What is the modern recommendation, should I call a sync after unmounting all ?
(or maybe it's absolutely useless ? ).

should I  do some extra actions except putting a port into a suspend mode ?

Is the sync have any meaning in this flow ?

The adapter  is rated as  a usb 2.