CH Products joystick(s) broken in 2.6.29=<

Due to a quirk with CH Products joysticks, it's always been necessary
to unplug the joystick and plug it back in after boot to get it to
work - On boot it's listed in dmesg, /proc/bus/input/devices and
lsusb, but moving the axes and pressing buttons do nothing until
you've unplugged and re-plugged the joystick once.

I've heard a patch which added a quirk for the Saitek Cyborg Gold
joysticks was submitted (and accepted) for 2.6.29 in late March, and
is now in mainline. I'm assuming the joystick functioned properly in
2.6.28 and encountered a regression similar to what I've got now.

At present, no amount of removing and adding the joystick gets it to
function, though it still does show up in the appropriate places.

Joystick's a CH Products Combatstick 568 USB, and its ID is 068e:00f4.
Googling for that, I see some pastebinned output containing that
string from the 12th, so I assume I'm one of many suffering from this
issue.

The joystick is functional on 2.6.28.8-1, however it's non-functional
with both 2.6.29.2-1 and 2.6.30-rc4, the latter being compiled today
from Git.

I'm unfamiliar with USB troubleshooting, so if there's any useful
information I can provide, let me know.