pxa270 udc

Hi folks,

I'm porting Linux to a new device that closely resembles the Mainstone
development board (i.e. xscale, pxa270). In spite of the countless,
nerve-racking hours I've spent, trying to get a console on the STD
UART working, I can't use it as my console. Why not? Well... the STD
UART is also connected to another device (RFID transceiver), which
constantly pollutes the data going into the STD_RXD pin. In other
words, I can read the console output but not write to it. It was
useful until now in that I could mount the root device, but now it's
just a PITA. Before I open up the device and mess with the circuits
more than I already have, I thought I would try configuring it for
CDC-ether.

I have the schematics, and have been able to identify the USB device
controller (UDC) that there is a GPIO input pin wired to detect when
the device is plugged into a cradle, and another GPIO output pin (also
going to the cradle) that signals when the device is operating in USB
client mode.

Now that I've given some background info, I have a question I'd like
to ask the linux-usb list. In a nutshell, what do I need to add to
arch/arm/mach-pxa/mainstone.c in order for my mainstone-like device to
register with the USB host as a CDC ethernet device?

I've already checked out drivers/usb/gadget/pxa27x_udc.c, and also
have seen the relevent parts in the Intel PXA270 Developer's Manual.
The trick is, that the pxa UDC requires that 'all endpoints are
configured before the controller is enabled'.

My guess is that I need to add a 'struct pxa2xx_udc_mach_info' into
mainstone.c, and tell it that the vbus / gpio use +ve logic. Does that
sound right, or am I just talking smack?

I'm doing all of my work on an EEE PC 701 with a 7" screen, and
sitting on the floor of my new and newly painted apartment, still
without any furniture, which is not altogether conducive for reading.

Any suggestions?

Best Regards,

Chris