Re: Query on usb/core/devio.c

On Mon, 12 Nov 2018, Mayuresh Kulkarni wrote:

> > > Yes agreed to the point that driver as such does not know if its resume is
> > > called due to host or remote wake.
> > > But based on ioctl call, it should be possible to know, if resume happened
> > > due
> > > to resume-ioctl or remote-wake (e.g.: using a flag in resume-ioctl), right?
> > No, I keep telling you, it is not possible.  Furthermore, you should
> > never care what the cause was.  After all, what difference would it
> > make to your program?  It shouldn't make any difference -- you should
> > do exactly the same thing no matter what the wakeup cause was.
> >

> I think I now understand the disconnect between us this point. Below is an
> attempt to bridge that, so please bear with me:
> 1. In our use-case(s), the end user can "interact" with composite USB device
> either by physically interacting with or via an app on Android.
> 2. When the interaction is "physical" (e.g.: something that is sensed by a
> sensor or a button press), we need "remote-wake" from USB device to host.
> 3. When the interaction is via app (e.g.: to toggle some control), we need
> "host-wake" from host to USB device.

Oliver gave a good explanation of where you are going wrong, but I will
fill in some of the missing steps here.

> And this is where, the knowledge of wake-up source and difference in handling
> comes into picture.
> For (2), the host needs to first wake-up and then queue a request to read-out
> "what" happened.

Wrong.  For all you know, the user may have both toggled a control in
the app _and_ pressed a button on the device.  Therefore the host needs
to queue a request to read out what happened _and_ it needs to take
whatever actions have been requested by the user.

> For (3), the host needs to first wake-up the device and then queue the
> command(s) to the take action asked by the end user.

Wrong.  The user may have triggered a sensor on the device as well as
toggled a control in the app, in which case the host does not need to
wake up the device (the device will have issued its own remote wakeup)
but it does need to queue a request to see if anything has happened.

> I agree that in both of above cases, "a USB request" needs to be send from user-
> space to kernel to device. But in my opinion, each of the them has a different
> context associated with it. E.g.: for (2), a single read request is sufficient
> to "know" what happened while for (3), a write and a read request is needed.

In both cases, you always need to query the device's state and you may
need to send a command to the device.  Hence there's no point in trying
to distinguish the two cases.

> With that said, due to above reason(s), it is proposed to add 3 "new" ioctls.
> Does the calling sequence by user-space I mentioned in previous response, seems
> sensible now?

My earlier response still stands.

> > > As I understand, the calling sequence by user-space would be like -
> > >
> > > ioctl(fd, USBDEVFS_SUSPEND); ==> put-down PM ref-count and return
> > >
> > > ret = ioctl(fd, USBDVEFS_WAIT_FOR_REMOTE_WAKE); ==> will block for resume
> > This should be WAIT_FOR_RESUME, not WAIT_FOR_REMOTE_WAKE.
> >

> OK.
>

> > > if (ret == EHOST_WAKE)
> > > 	/* handle host wake case */
> > > else if (ret == EREMOTE_WAKE)
> > > 	/* handle remote wake case */
> > > else
> > > 	/* handle other return values */
> > No way to tell the difference between wakeup causes.  The return value
> > would be 0 for a resume and -1 if the ioctl was interrupted by a signal
> > before the device resumed (or perhaps if the device file was closed
> > before the ioctl returned).
>
> Based on above comment, if we are able to distinguish the "resume" cause, the
> user-space will be in better position to take action.

But we are not able to distinguish the cause, and even if we were, it's
quite possible that the user could interact with the device after the
time the host woke it up but before any commands were issued.
Therefore the app must always query the device's state.

What would you do if the device _wasn't_ suspended when the user
interacted with the app?  Wouldn't the app still need to find out
somehow that the user had also triggered a sensor?  The same remains
true if the device _was_ suspended.

Alan Stern