Re: Query on usb/core/devio.c

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 10:10:32 -0400
Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Oct 2018, Mayuresh Kulkarni wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 10:24:46 -0400
> > Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Sure, but you still need a runtime-PM put at the start and a runtime-PM
> > > get at the end.  In fact, if you separate this into two calls then you
> > > run the risk that the user may never perform the second call, and you
> > > would end up with an unbalanced put.
> > >

> > I am tending to agree towards having a single ioctl call here. It is better
> > to give minimal control to user-space w.r.t. runtime PM. The current
> > proposal of user-space giving an hint to USB-FS/core that - it is not using
> > the device, sounds better.

We reviewed the proposal internally and looks like we have following cases:
1. Host wake from L2: This needs to be done when end-user wants to interact with
device && device is in suspend/link in L2.
2. Remote wake from L2 by device: This happens when USB device detects some
activity while link was in L2.

As per my understanding, the current ioctl proposal seems to address (2) above.
But (1) seems to have issue which is, the end-user has to wait for remote-wake
from device to interact with it (since device is already open and blocked in
new ioctl).

With that said, it looks like we would need 3 ioctls as below:
1. suspend: to be called by user-space when it knows it is done using the
device. Should be non-blocking. It should just drop the PM ref-count on device.
2. resume: to be called by user-space when it wants to actively interact with
the device. Should be non-blocking. It should just get the PM ref-count on
device.
3. wait-for-remote-wake: to be called by user-space when it wants to wait for
remote wake of device && end user not actively use it. Should be blocking.
Unblocked by resume. It should have different return value to indicate
resume-by-host or resume-by-remote-wake (apart from signal info).

Does this sound reasonable (considering one of my previous comments :-/)?