Re: ptp-gadget: now also working with MS Windows hosts

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009, David Vrabel wrote:

> Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > the ptp-gadget user-space driver has reached version 1.0 (tag v1.0 under
> > git://git.denx.de/ptp-gadget.git), which marks stricter standard
> > compliance to the extent that also MS Windows hosts (tested with XP SP3)
> > now also work with it. Enjoy.
>
> Has it been tested with Windows Vista?  I think Vista has a completely
> different set of drivers for MTP/PTP.

No, it hasn't.

> I tried it and it doesn't get further than Get Device Status request.

I see. You don't run Vista in a virtual machine by any chance? Because
this was also where XP stopped when running in a VMWare VM under Linux.
Otherwise XP doesn't issue GetDeviceStatus at all. So, I see two
possibilities now: 1. the error happens earlier and that's why Vista
issues GetDeviceStatus. 2. Vista now always issues GetDeviceStatus and
it's my implementation of it that's incorrect. As I said, in normal cases
noone issues it, so, I'm not sure if I'm responding correctly to it. Maybe
I'll try to snoop under the VM to see if what I'm sending looks plausible.

Thanks
Guennadi
---
Guennadi Liakhovetski, Ph.D.