A question about 'lsusb'

Based on my (limited) understanding if I were to disable udev, the
userspace should not be able to enumerate/interact with any newly
connected device since udev handles uevents generated by kernel.
(right?)

So as a test, I disabled systemd-udevd and then plugged in a flash
drive. I disabled support for usb mass storage in the kernel. So 'lsblk'
didn't show the device, just as expected. However, 'lsusb' still
dynamically updates the list as I repeatedly plugin and remove a flash
drive.

Then I studied libusb/lsusb code for a bit. It seems that lsusb makes use
of 'libusb_get_device_list()' to find the connected usb devices. But I
couldn't find any detail regarding implementation of
libusb_get_device_list.

I am sure I'm missing something. Could someone please help me understand
what is happening behind the scenes?

Regards.