Re: ] Sandisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0 thumb drive overheating way more than same USB does in Windows

On Fri, Aug 03, 2018 at 04:15:22PM +0100, Mustafa A wrote:
> The drive (128GB USB 3.0)
> https://www.sandisk.co.uk/home/usb-flash/ultra-fit-usb overheats to
> the point where the metal part would burn someone if they held it for
> more than a second.
>
> The overheating only happens on this brand of USB drives, other USB
> 3.0 drives have been fine.
> The overheating only happens with Linux 4.15.0-29 (the default Kubuntu
> 18.04 kernel), it's fine when transferring files in Windows (tried
> with 8.1).
> The overheating happens even when files aren't transferring, even when
> the drive is idle.
>
> The other hardware used is a HP g6-2205sa laptop (Intel i3-3110M CPU)

I have seen this with some devices before, they just have bad thermal
properties.  Make sure the device is actually going to sleep when idle,
use powertop to make it happen, that seems to work for me and is
probably what Windows does.

Otherwise, no, there's nothing that Linux can do here, as a test, try to
plug the device into a system like a BIOS/UEFI that does not do any
power management and watch it also heat up.

I recommend getting a new device, that's what I did :)

thanks,

greg k-h