Re: usbutils source tree [was Re: [patch 0/7] Add usb root debugfs...]

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 02:43:57PM -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Apr 2009, Greg KH wrote:
>
> > Ok, as it looks like I'm considered the maintainer of this package in at
> > least 2 different distros already, I should be paying attention to it :)
> >
> > I've converted the cvs tree to git, and put it at:
> > 	http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/gregkh/usbutils.git
> > on kernel.org and for those who like to use github, it's at:
> > 	http://github.com/gregkh/usbutils/tree/master
> >
> > I'll try to work on adding this option to generate the old device file
> > format to it next week.
>
> Out of curiosity, I took a look at the source files.  lsusb does use
> libusb after all!  Are you going to switch it over to pure sysfs and
> libudev?

I wasn't planning on doing that, I was going to switch usbview over to
just use sysfs and libudev.

We could switch lsusb to use just sysfs, but I don't think it would make
much sense to use libudev, do you?  Although it might make enumerating
the USB devices easier...  Hm, maybe I'll think about it, depending on
how well the usbview changes go.

Actually, the difference between usbview and lsusb is pretty small these
days, maybe we can just make usbview the "gtk" version of lsusb :)

I have 2 days of sitting with sick kids, watching hours of Sponge Bob,
so I'll see how it goes...

thanks,

greg k-h