Re: "usb: dwc3: support clocks and resets for DWC3 core" is causing errors on x86

Hi Hans,

> Hi,
>
> On 12-06-18 08:27, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
>>
>> Hi Hans,

>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> While testing usb-next on some Intle Bay and Cherry Trail
>>> devices I noticed the following new error in my logs:
>>>
>>> [   26.187958] dwc3 dwc3.3.auto: Failed to get clk 'ref': -2
>>>
>>> This is caused by the new clk_bulk_get() call in
>>> drivers/usb/dwc3/core.c
>>>
>>> If I understand the commit message correctly this is
>>> intended to replace (for newer boards / SoCs) the
>>> clk handling in dwc3-of-simple.c and this seems to
>>> be a devicetree specific patch in general.
>>>
>>> Now things still work because the new clk code accepts
>>> clk_bulk_get() failing and then effectively disables
>>> itself.
>>>
>>> Maybe we should wrap the clk_bulk_get() in an
>>> if (device->of_node) conditional to stop this error
>>> from getting logged on non DT platforms?
>>>

>> Or, maybe drop the error logging from clk_bulk_get() ?
>

> Yes, but that would require all callers to do their
> own error logging. There seems to be a pattern in the
> kernel where functions like clk_bulk_get (any function
> which is expected to normally succeed) do the error
> logging themselves so that callers don't have to do this.

Right.

But, clk_get() emits "ERROR: could not get clock" log in the core.

To not disturb optional clocks,
there are more conditions to meet for displaying the error message.

See this code.
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/v4.17/drivers/clk/clkdev.c#L80

So, I suspect that logging is duplicated to some extent
between clk_get() and clk_bulk_get().

> Note in the mean time I've prepared a patch making the
> clk_bulk_get() call on dev->of_node. If we are in agreement
> that that is best fix then I will post it.

Fair enough.

Go ahead.

--
Best Regards