Re: ptp-gadget: now also working with MS Windows hosts

You forgot to use "Reply-to-all", re-adding all CC.

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009, Felipe Balbi wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 12:34:43PM +0200, ext Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > the ptp-gadget user-space driver has reached version 1.0 (tag v1.0 under
> > git://git.denx.de/ptp-gadget.git), which marks stricter standard
> > compliance to the extent that also MS Windows hosts (tested with XP SP3)
> > now also work with it. Enjoy.
>
> how, why not using the u_serial.c fw from composite gadget fw and on
> userland just having a daemon reading and writing to the /dev/ttyGS*
> created devnodes ??

I don't know exactly how u_serial.c works, but from a brief look it looks
like it just provides some library, that then gets #include'ed by other
drivers, e.g., serial.c or cdc2.c. Which then implement specific USB
functionality, create USB device, configuration, interface descriptors,
etc. So, you would need a ptp.c, implementing ptp USB device descriptors,
and then you would need a user-space daemon to implement the actual
protocol. How would this be any better?

> I guess it would be a lot simpler for userland and we wouldn't tie ptp
> to one userland application.

Don't see how this would be simpler and you would then be tied to a kernel
module _and_ a user-space application.

Thanks
Guennadi
---