Re: Serdev: USB device and sysdev probing ala i2c

Hi Ricardo,

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 11:17:20AM +0200, Ricardo Ribalda Delgado wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a flash controller connected to the main computer via a usb to
> serial. My plan is to expose it to the system as a video4linux subdevice.
>
> With the inclusion of serdev I was expecting that it would be as easy as
> adding a i2c device, but seems that there are some functionality that it is
> still not implemented:
>
> 1) Serdev for usb serial devices.

Right, I didn't want to enable serdev for USB serial before we have
determined how to handle hotplugging (e.g. in serdev core or by making
sure every serdev driver can handle devices going away at any time) in
order to avoid having things crash left and right.

I have out-of-tree code for USB serial that I use for testing purposes,
so it's mostly a matter of finding the time to think this through.

> 2) Instatiating via sysfs. Something like
> echo hci_nokia > /sys/bus/serio/devices/serio0/new_device
> (inspired in: echo eeprom 0x50 > /sys/bus/i2c/devices/i2c-3/new_device)

Serdev currently only supports device tree and ACPI. Using out-of-tree
code, you could load a device tree fragment during runtime to describe
your serial bus (or you just amend the device tree).

Using device tree overlays would have the benefit of being able to
describe associated resources (e.g. reset gpios) which a simple
compatible string (or equivalent) would not.

But there are examples where a simple compatible string would do, for
example an existing CEC device presenting itself as a generic USB CDC
device (hopefully with a dedicated VID/PID so that no user-space
configuration is needed at all).

> 3) Support for probing: Like hwmon for i2c

What would you probe for (since there is no generic protocol for serial
devices)?

> -Are these two things in the drawing board?
> -if not, would it be something worth considering/reviewing for
> upstream?

So the first two points have been given some thought and is something
we'd want to have eventually, while the third point has mostly been
rejected (I think).

Johan