Re: USB regression for Android phone and sound card in 4.14

03.05.18 23:20, Alan Stern пише:
> On Thu, 3 May 2018, Nazar Mokrynskyi wrote:
>
>> 03.05.18 22:16, Alan Stern пише:
>>> On Wed, 2 May 2018, Nazar Mokrynskyi wrote:
>>>
>>> As far as I know, hubs attached at boot time get initialized and
>>> handled in exactly the same way as hubs attached afterward.
>>>
>>> When a device is connected to a high-speed hub, the hardware in the hub
>>> is what determines the device's speed.  Not the software in the kernel.
>>> The kernel just uses whatever speed the hub says to use.
>>>
>>> Have you tried a different brand of hub, to see if it makes any
>>> difference?
>>>
>>> Alan Stern
>>>
>> I had the same issue with different USB hub that was integrated into
>> monitor. It had additional power (current hub doesn't), but I don't
>> own that monitor anymore (I was using it when reported this issue
>> initially).
>>
>> There is definitely some difference, maybe related to powering USB
>> port at early stages of boot process, so that USB hub decides to run
>> devices attached to it at slower speed or something tricky like that.
> Or maybe it's a noise issue.
>
>> I've noticed that after boot manager (GRUB) gives control to Linux it
>> disconnect USB devices for a short time, but I'm not familiar with
>> how and why it happens.
> The kernel has to reset all the attached hardware, because it doesn't
> know what state the firmware or boot loader left the devices in.
>
> Anyway, perhaps you can work around this problem with a simple script
> that is set to run automatically, shortly after the system boots.  The
> problem hub is 1-9, right?  So the script needs to do this:
>
> 	echo 0 >/sys/bus/usb/devices/1-9/bConfigurationValue
> 	echo 1 >/sys/bus/usb/devices/1-9/bConfigurationValue
>
> That will do a soft reinit of the hub and all the devices attached to
> it.  Hopefully the reinitialized sound card will run at high speed.
>
> Alan Stern

Interestingly, soft reinit doesn't change anything. Sound card is again initialized at full-speed instead of high-speed.

Here is some more information about hub and its devices specifically (including soft reinitialization): https://pastebin.com/DDgnWMQq

Sincerely, Nazar Mokrynskyi
github.com/nazar-pc