Re: [patch 2.6.29] usb: ehci-sched.c: EHCI SITD scheduling bugfix (resend)

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Dan Streetman wrote:

> Well, the theoretical problem is that the bug could delay a transfer
> long enough that it doesn't finish in time for the TT to transfer the
> data back in the last scheduled CSPLIT for the transfer.  I suspect
> this would look like, when a user starts using an isoc device like USB
> audio or video, another device that was already connected stops
> working.  I have not seen this problem myself.
>
> The failure report from James is that when he starts using a USB audio
> device, his mouse gets port reset.  James, did you see any "-110" or
> "timeout" errors before the port reset?  I would expect timeout
> errors, not a port reset (I think the EHCI driver handles all the
> CSPLITs failing as a timeout error, right?).  There may be code that
> does a port reset on too many timeout errors to try to recover a
> device.

Yes, the usbhid driver does that.

You can describe the symptom this way:

Without this patch, the driver won't check that the last fully-occupied
uframe for a new split transaction was vacant beforehand.  This can
lead to a situation in which the first 188 bytes of a 192-byte
isochronous transfer are scheduled in the same uframe as an existing
interrupt transfer.  The resulting schedule looks like this:

	uframe 0: 188-byte isoc-OUT SSPLIT, 8-byte int-IN SSPLIT
	uframe 1: 4-byte isoc-OUT SSPLIT

The SSPLITs are intermingled, causing an error in the downstream hub's
TT.

Alan Stern