Re: USB stick destroyed

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009, Jean Delvare wrote:

> > Sounds like a bad FAT or directory entry.  Could be the stored data was
> > corrupted or a read didn't return the right information.
>
> Could this be caused by bad mount options, for example incorrect
> charset? As I wrote the stick isn't mine, it has probably been written
> to under Windows not Linux.

I don't think a wrong charset or mount option could cause this problem.

> I'm also curious if FAT has a limit to the number of files it can
> store? 8500 files seem a lot for a 1 GB stick.

FAT-16 does have a limit; it can't store more than 65536 non-empty
files.  (And only 4096 for FAT-12, but that's not used much outside of
floppies.)  For FAT-32 the limit is much higher.

8500 files isn't all that much.  If each file was 4 KB, they'd all fit
in about 34 MB.

> > If you still have the stick, and if it still is in working condition,
> > you should be able to get it going again by repartitioning and
> > reformatting it.
>
> Yes I still have it and it is still seen as an USB device. I will try
> repartitioning it and reformatting it, let's see where it gets me. I'm
> not sure exactly how I can restore the boot sector though. Maybe I'll
> copy it from another USB stick.

The partition's boot sector gets written when you format the partition.

> And then I could try to reproduce the bug... who knows.

At this point, there's not much else you can try...

Alan Stern