Re: Webcams not recognized on a Dell Latitude 5285 laptop

This laptop embeds one of these new "complex" cameras from Intel. They
requires IPU3 driver. Though, unlike traditional webcam, you need
special userspace to use it (there is no embedded firmware to manage
focus, whitebalance, etc, userspace code need to read the stats and
manage that). As of now, there is no good plan on how to support this
in userspace.

I have seen a lot of Intel engineer speak about GStreamer element
icamsrc, which would support this camera, but haven't seen any public
source code, so I can only assume it's all closed source. It's also of
limited use considering that browsers don't use GStreamer.

If I was to propose a plan, this should be integrated into Pipewire
daemon, which is upcoming userspace daemon to multi-plex notably
cameras across multiple process (a bit like pulseaudio for audio). It's
also the foreseen solution for sandboxed application that cannot
directly access any of the /dev, hence reserve forever a sesrouce like
a camera.

On Linux Desktop, this is a very bad launch, it will likely takes some
times before your camera works out of the box (if ever).

Nicolas