Re: [patch 2.6.29] usb: ehci-sched.c: EHCI SITD scheduling bugfix (resend)

On Thursday 16 April 2009, Alan Stern wrote:

> > I see.  Yes, that might need to change.  And it would be a
> > flavor of "rebalancing" too.  ISTR thinking about biasing
> > interrupt transfers for "late" in the frame, but may never
> > have done much with that thought.
>
> A disadvantage of moving interrupt transfers "late" in the frame is
> that it would force the use of FSTNs, which the driver currently
> doesn't have code for.  Even worse, FSTNs aren't defined for EHCI-0.95.

Not many folk ship the 0.95 hardware any more.  Way back when
I wrote that code, that was about the only stuff available... ;)

Easy to deal with that.  The revision is recorded somewhere during
chip init.  If FSTN code gets written, just make sure nothing relies
on it with hardware that won't cooperate.

> > To treat ISO frames that way it might be useful to add a
> > new abstraction:  a full speed view of that schedule tree.
> > Maybe not; but, it might make for a simpler structure.
>
> Without actually writing the code, it's hard to judge how much state
> should be stored explicitly vs. reconstructedon-the-fly.

Not entirely true.  I chose "reconstruct on-the-fly" because
I wanted to have exactly one record -- avoiding introduction
of bugs caused by inconsistency there.

But already it got to be awkward in some cases.  I guess you
could say that's with the benefit of having written some of
that code.  ;)

It wouldn't necessarily be much state that's needed to have
such a full-speed view.  An array of 32 frames (say) to match
the scheduling horizon; a pointer in the SITD and QH structs;
and that's essentially what OHCI works with.  Abstract it just
a little bit, and it's potentially usable by non-EHCI code that
needs to schedule a TT subtree.

I'm moderately sure that decoupling TT scheduling from details
that are EHCI-specific would make it easier to understand what's
going on, and thus to produce better code.

- Dave