Re: Q: Does mass storage gadget use DMA ?

On Thu, Feb 15, 2018 at 10:56 AM, Ran Shalit <ranshalit@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 2:39 PM, Oliver Neukum <oneukum@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Am Sonntag, den 11.02.2018, 22:17 +0200 schrieb Ran Shalit:

>>> Just to be sure,
>>> can I assume that other usb gadget drivers are using DMA (including
>>> gadgetfs for userspace driver) ?
>>> And it is also correct for host drivers  (such as camera device ) ?
>>
>> None of these drivers are for hardware. They implement a protocol.
>> On the host as well as on the gadget side there are driver for the
>> actual host controllers (EHCI, XHCI, ...) as well as their gadget
>> equivalents.
>>
>> Any of these drivers may or may not use DMA. Neither the assumption
>> that they use DMA or the assumption that they do not use DMA
>> is valid. In fact they may mix it.

Hi,

I actually asked about DMA, because I see that it is possible to send
urb using DMA allocated buffers or not (coherent and non-coherent)
usb_buffer_alloc().
So, How can we actually know if I should use this API with a device or
not ? I mean, is it always possible to use the coherent buffer with
the device ?

Sorry for the previous disrupted email, it was sent by mistake.
Thanks a lot,
Ran

that there is API for dma