Re: how to disable a xhci logical port?

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 09:20:56AM +0100, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 12:56:26PM -0600, Bin Liu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A xHCI controller has two logical ports, hs and ss port. Is it
> > possible to disable one port, for example the ss port? If so, how?
>
> Why would you want to do that?

On the device I have (TI AM57x), PCIe and USB share the ss PHY. Now I am
trying to figure out how to let PCIe use the ss PHY and disable it in
USB.

Simply removing the ss PHY nodes from USB in devicetree causes kernel
crashes at boot (but the crash log doesn't directly link to USB
subsystem), so I wanted to ask how to disable the xhci ss roothub before
I dig into the crash.

> > By disable, I meant the xHCI driver doesn't see the port when the xHCI
> > driver is loaded and doesn't create that usb bus.
>
> That goes against the spec for the hardware from what I can tell.

Okay, I will look into it from a different direction - focus on the
crash log.

Thanks,
-Bin.