Re: [BUG] SD card reader disappears after suspend

On Thu, 25 Jan 2018, Samuel Sadok wrote:

> > On Tue, 23 Jan 2018, Samuel Sadok wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks Alan,
> >>
> >> While I was at it I also enabled debug logs for xhci_hcd and xhci_pci.
> >>
> >> $ echo module usbcore =p > /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control
> >> $ echo module xhci_hcd =p > /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control
> >> $ echo module xhci_pci =p > /sys/kernel/debug/dynamic_debug/control
> >> $ modprobe usbmon
> >> $ cat /sys/kernel/debug/usb/usbmon/0u > /tmp/usbmon.log
> >> $ # press power button
> >>
> >> dmesg: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/29b81574abf40605f999cfeefe98e341
> >> usbmon: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/55b6d9bbf8b8c8627230b10d2b09dcb6
> >>
> >> Both logs were collected at the same time so the timestamps should match.
> >
> > In fact they do, quite closely.  But there is a noticeable gap in the
> > usbmon trace, between lines 197 and 198 (the timestamp jumps from
> > 35923531 to 38925126) and there obviously was a lot of activity on bus
> > 1 in between.
>
> Yes you're right, that's inconvenient because the "failed to disable
> LTM" message occurs exactly in this gap. Are gaps like this expected /
> known? Any ideas on how to mitigate them? (I kinda want to avoid
> soldering an external bus monitor to the mainboard :) )

The text interface to usbmon uses a fixed-size buffer, and the size is
a little on the low side if you're dealing with large latencies (which
of course are unavoidable during a suspend/resume scenario).  The size
is determined by EVENT_MAX, defined around line 40 in
drivers/usb/mon/mon_text.c:

#define EVENT_MAX  (4*PAGE_SIZE / sizeof(struct mon_event_text))

Just change the 4 to something considerably larger and you should be in
good shape.

> >> Resume starts at dmesg line 1255.
> >> As far as I can judge, the earliest indication of something going
> >> wrong is line 1514:
> >> [ 36.087176] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: xHCI xhci_urb_enqueue called with
> >> unaddressed device
> >> [ 36.087180] usb 2-4: Disable of device-initiated U1 failed.
> >> [ 36.087212] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: xHCI xhci_urb_enqueue called with
> >> unaddressed device
> >> [ 36.087224] usb 2-4: Disable of device-initiated U2 failed.
> >> [ 36.087226] xhci_hcd 0000:00:14.0: xHCI xhci_urb_enqueue called with
> >> unaddressed device
> >> [ 36.087227] usb 2-4: usb_reset_and_verify_device Failed to disable LTM
> >
> > Yes, that's where the problem first seems to show up.  Apparently
> > usb_disable_ltm() fails because it can't communicate with the device,
> > and usb_reset_and_verify_device() then aborts because of that failure.
> > It shouldn't do this; after all, one very good reason for resetting the
> > device is because we're unable to communicate with it.
> >
> > You could try editing the source code for usb_reset_and_verify_device()
> > in drivers/usb/core/hub.c, to see what happens if it doesn't give up
> > after usb_disable_ltm() fails.
>
> For the following logs I modified the "Failed to disable LTM" message
> and commented out the goto in the line below. Also I used kernel
> version 4.15-rc9 this time. I omitted upgrading the out-of-tree
> modules broadcom-wl and nouveau-fw, so don't mind errors related to
> that.
> The SD card reader is still missing after resume.
>
> dmesg & usbmon:
> https://gist.github.com/anonymous/fc597612d5ebbac40d7bef9f8f0b579a
>
> `usb_reset_and_verify_device()` is executed around dmesg line 1524.
> Again, the usbmon log has a major gap around that time.

It looks like the system is trying to carry out multiple warm resets,
or a single extremely long warm reset, when it really should give up
and do a cold reset instead.

It would be best to get Mathias's input on this.  I don't know what is
the right way to fix this problem.

Alan Stern