Re: [patch 2.6.29] usb: ehci-sched.c: EHCI SITD scheduling bugfix (resend)

On Thu, 9 Apr 2009, Kung James wrote:

> Actually, this bug really cause some problem.
>
> I plug an USB mouse and an USB sound card in to USB2.0 HUB.
> When I play music with the 192 byte data in every frame, the mouse will be
> port reset by kernel. Because the start split of QH of intr. IN
> endpoint is scheduled
> at the first micro frame, and the SITD of isoc. OUT endpoint is scheduled
> at the first and the second micro frame. At the first micro frame, the
> HUB need to execute 188 byte start split isoc. OUT transaction and a start split
> intr. IN transaction. Some HUBs can successfully execute the two split
> transaction
> at the first micro frame, but some HUBs (e.g. NEC µPD720114) can not.

Can you explain more fully?  I'm just starting to go through the
scheduling code in ehci-sched.c, so I don't understand it all yet.  Why
does this patch fix the problem?

Every USB-2.0-compliant hub should be able to handle those two
start-split transactions in the same uframe.  How far should we go to
accomodate buggy hubs?

Alan Stern