Re: [BUG] USB mass storage device incomplete read command sequence

On Wed, 3 Jan 2018, Matthew Dharm wrote:

> The TUR commands come from the sd_mod (I think).  Definitely not from
> usb-storage.  So I would take it up at that level.
>
> Matt
>
> On Wed, Jan 3, 2018 at 4:25 PM, Eduardo Trápani <etrapani@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Usually the kernel reads the pendrive like this:
> >
> > TEST UNIT READY
> > READ(10)
> > READ(10)
> > TEST UNIT READY
> >
> > But under some conditions, the last TEST UNIT READY is not being sent
> > and because of that, on this device: Kingston DT 101 G2, the drive's
> > activity light keeps on blinking even though nothing is being done (no
> > read/writes/inquiries).

In addition to Matt's comments, it's worth pointing out that this
behavior is an oddity of the device.  Hosts are not obliged to send
TEST UNIT READY commands at any time, and it's not fair to say that
lack of such commands is a bug that needs to be fixed.

Alan Stern