Re: drivers/net/usb/r8152.c USB net driver outdated

On 11/29/2017 03:37 AM, Petko Manolov wrote:
On 17-11-29 06:11:22, Greg KH wrote:
On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 07:51:06PM -0700, Cameron Seader wrote:
Greetings, The upstream kernel seems to be outdated with version 1.09.9 of
the drivers/net/usb/r8152.c driver. There is newer hardware now which
requires the newer version where running with the old one becomes unstable.
For example the latest Dell Precision 5520 uses this driver. I have
currently tested the newest driver I can find which is dated 8/30/2017 at
version 2.09.0.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=56&PFid=56&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false#RTL8153

Attached is the driver.

I have compiled this newer driver on Kernel 4.14.1 on openSUSE Tumbleweed
and have been successful with no issues. It certainly is a lot more stable
than the previous which caused issues coming out of sleep mode where it
would drop the speed of the NIC to 100 and set it to half duplex.

I'm asking that we please look at updating this driver in the latest kernel.

Care to submit patches to update the existing in-kernel driver to provide the
support that this out-of-tree driver has?  That's the only way this is going
to happen :)

Magic firmware blobs in the source.  I love it... :)

Petko,
Does this mean your looking into this update?

Cameron